If you are an underground storage tank (UST) owner, we are sure that you are aware of the increased scrutiny being placed on you by regulatory agencies in order to safeguard against leaking USTs. Improperly managed UST systems can lead to: loss of product (which is a loss of money), contamination of the environment which could result in hundreds of thousands of dollars in investigation and cleanup costs, loss of state insurance fund monies to assist in investigation/cleanup, civil penalties, and potential fines from regulatory agencies. None of which are good, obviously.
If you are located in the greater East Tennessee, Southwestern Virginia, Southern Kentucky region, Wingfield Environmental’s UST compliance specialists can assist you in keeping an eye on compliance issues associated with operation of your UST system so you can better focus on other aspects of running your business
Wingfield Environmental compliance specialists can conduct monthly visual inspections at each of your locations to inspect/perform the following:
- Inspect and cleanout spill buckets and complete state required inspection logs. Failure to inspect, cleanout and complete logs in some states can result in fines starting at $200.00.
- Inspect inside dispensers and complete state required inspection log. Failure to inspect and complete log in some states can result in fines starting at $100.00. Failure to report leaks from dispensers could result in fines as high as $8000.00 depending on the state.
- Inspect your ATG making sure it is working properly. We will make sure there are no alarms (any alarms will be reported directly to tank owner/operator and not to the regulatory agencies without customer approval). We will print off an ATG SCALD Test from each tank and keep for files. We will make sure, as of our visit, at least 1 passing ATG SCALD Test is available for each tank. Fines for not conducting monthly monitoring of tanks in some states can be as high as $3200.00. Additional fines for not reporting confirmed releases could be as high at $8000.00 in some states.
- If the location has CP (cathodic protection), we will check and read the rectifier for record keeping and document those readings as required by states. Failure read rectifier every 60 days could result in fines up to $1200.00 with possible additional fine of up to $2000.00 for not properly maintaining CP System in some states.
- Check hoses for kinks, blocks and wear which could result in leaks/spills.
- Check nozzles for damage which could result in leaks/spills.
- Check spill bucket lid condition and make sure not in contact with fill caps. Potential fine for poor spill bucket lid or lid in contact with fill cap is up to $100.00 in some states.
- Check fuel drop adaptors for proper sealing.
- Check dispensers for ethanol, octane, and cetane decals. The Dept of Agriculture in some states can fine pump owner/operator for lack of proper decals.
Wingfield inspectors visiting your site(s) in Tennessee and Virginia shall be both “A” and “B” tank operator certified and have collectively over 40 plus years of experience around UST systems so you can have peace of mind your UST system is compliant with all applicable state and federal regulations. Any findings of concern shall be reported directly to the Tank Owner or Operator and no one else without approval from the Tank Owner or Operator. Reporting of any inspection findings to the state regulatory authorities shall be the sole responsibility of the Tank Owner or Operator unless Wingfield Environmental is directed to do such in writing (e.g., e-mail) by the Tank Owner or Operator. A binder of all inspection documentation shall be maintained at the facility and at the Wingfield office for easy access.
If you are interested in getting an estimate of what it would cost for Wingfield Environmental to conduct monthly visits to your facility and ensure that your USTs are in compliance, please contact our office.
Wingfield Environmental, Inc. does not and shall not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion (creed), gender, gender expression, age, national origin (ancestry), disability, marital status, sexual orientation, or military status, in any of its activities or operations.